Home Health Inquest into patient suicides hears hospital's mental...
Health

Inquest into patient suicides hears hospital's mental health facility 'overcapacity'

Inquest into patient suicides hears hospital's mental health facility 'overcapacity'
Key Points

Coronial inquest into cluster of patient suicides hears Prince Charles Hospital mental health facility 'overcapacity' In short: A coroner is probing the deaths of Barry Ellery, 77, Miranda Meyer, 37, and Kendal Quicke, 31, at The Prince Charles Hospital between May and December 2023. A treating psychiatrist of one of the patients told the inquest while improvements had been made, the mental health unit still had "a major problem with bed capacity". The coroner will consider whether any...

Coronial inquest into cluster of patient suicides hears Prince Charles Hospital mental health facility 'overcapacity' In short: A coroner is probing the deaths of Barry Ellery, 77, Miranda Meyer, 37, and Kendal Quicke, 31, at The Prince Charles Hospital between May and December 2023. A treating psychiatrist of one of the patients told the inquest while improvements had been made, the mental health unit still had "a major problem with bed capacity". What's next? The coroner will consider whether any additional changes to the delivery of mental health services within the Metro North Hospital and Health Service should be made. A coronial inquest into a cluster of three patient suicides within a seven-month period inside the mental health unit of a major Brisbane hospital has been told it remains at "overcapacity all the time". Warning: This article contains references to mental health and suicide. Coroner Megan Fairweather is probing the deaths of Barry Ellery, 77, Miranda Meyer, 37, and Kendal Quicke, 31, at The Prince Charles Hospital between May and December 2023. She is examining the appropriateness and adequacy of the mental health care and treatment provided by the Metro North Hospital and Health Service at the time of the deaths. A treating psychiatrist of one of the patients, whose name is the subject of a non-publication order, told the hearing in Brisbane that at the time of the deaths, mental health unit patients had to regularly be admitted to the thoracic ward. The mental health unit has two wings with 60 beds, but the psychiatrist said it was common for up to 12 mental health patients to be admitted to the thoracic ward at any one time in 2023. She said while improvements had been made since the suicide cluster, and the thoracic ward was no longer used for psychiatric patients, the mental health unit still had "a major problem with bed capacity". "We can't meet the need in our catchment area,"the psychiatrist said. Inquest hears details of woman's care On the opening day of the inquest, Ms Fairweather heard details of Ms Quicke's death on November 12, 2023. The trainee psychiatrist involved in her care, whose name is also subject to a non-publication order, told the inquest of having an inpatient workload of about 11 to 13 at the time of the suicide deaths. The recommended numbers are about four to five. His consultant psychiatrist told the inquest the trainee workload had eased since Ms Quicke's death. She said she reviewed Ms Quicke on November 2 after her admission with major depressive disorder alongside a "range of trauma-related symptoms which appeared to be chronic in nature". Ms Quicke also had diagnoses of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder and borderline personality disorder. But the psychiatrist said Ms Quicke "presented as someone who was motivated to follow advice and engage in a plan to improve her mental health". "I felt Kendal had a very positive prognosis," the psychiatrist said. "I felt she was going to do very well. I felt hourly visual observations are appropriate." The inquest heard that Ms Quicke's observations were changed to 15-minute visual observations by nursing staff on November 5 but neither the treating psychiatrist, nor her trainee, recalled ever being advised of this before the suicide. On November 7, after her case was reviewed at a multi-disciplinary team meeting of doctors, nurses and allied health staff, Ms Quicke was considered well enough for general observations, meaning checks every four hours. She took her own life five days later. Inquest follows review The inquest comes after an external health service investigation triggered by the deaths found the mental health wards at The Prince Charles Hospital were "no longer fit for purpose" and posed safety risks that needed to be "urgently" addressed. The review, handed down in 2024, found the two wards were "not in keeping with contemporary guidelines for mental health facilities". "[The facilities] are not conducive to mental health recovery and wellbeing for consumers, and they pose a number of potential safety risks for both consumers and staff," the review said. Ms Fairweather told the court today her role as coroner was a "fact-finding exercise". "It's not my role to cast blame." She will consider whether any additional changes to the delivery of mental health services within the Metro North Hospital and Health Service should be made. [Image text:] Rode Road Mental Health Public Entry You are here Mental Health Public Entry TPCN
Barry Ellery (PERSON) Miranda Meyer (PERSON) Kendal Quicke (PERSON) The Prince Charles Hospital (LOCATION) the Metro North Hospital and Health Service (ORG) Brisbane (LOCATION) Megan Fairweather (PERSON) Ms Fairweather (PERSON) Ms Quicke's (PERSON) Ms Quicke (PERSON) Kendal (PERSON)
Originally published by ABC Australia Read original →