Education
Former school worker admits to sexual abuse of children
Key Points
After the case was mentioned in court 21 times, a NSW Far South Coast man has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing six children between 2004 and 2014. The man's lawyer said outside court that his client's guilty plea would be a "huge relief" for the victims. The man will be sentenced in Bega in October.
After the case was mentioned in court 21 times, a NSW Far South Coast man has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing six children between 2004 and 2014.
The man's lawyer said outside court that his client's guilty plea would be a "huge relief" for the victims.
What's next?
The man will be sentenced in Bega in October.
A former school worker from the NSW Far South Coast will be sentenced later this year after admitting to historical child sexual abuse offences, some of which were committed while he was underage.
The man, who is aged in his mid-30s and cannot be named for legal reasons, was originally charged with 59 offences.
Today he pleaded guilty in Batemans Bay Local Court to eight counts of sexual intercourse with a child.
Court documents reveal the man abused five boys and a girl at two locations on the Far South Coast over the span of a decade.
During a court appearance via video link from Nowra's South Coast Correctional Centre, the man looked relaxed as he confirmed each guilty plea.
He was supported in court by two elderly family members, who sat in the front row of the public gallery.
Outside court, the man's lawyer, Adam Sumbak, said he was pleased for all involved to see the case heading towards a resolution.
"For the victims, the community at large and the offender, it is a huge relief to have these matters move forward,"
he said.
The case was mentioned in court 21 times over more than two years, with the court hearing delays had been caused by the sensitivity and complexity of the case and police staff shortages.
The man was arrested in late 2023 and soon after NSW Police set up a task force to investigate further allegations and possible victims.
During a bail hearing in 2024, prosecutors told the court the man had previously worked at a local primary school and had two children in his care at the time of his arrest.
His offending began at the age of 14 when he sexually assaulted an eight-year-old boy in a small coastal town in late 2004.
Over the next three years, he assaulted a five-year-old and 10-year-old boy, and a 10-year-old girl multiple times.
As an adult in 2011, he assaulted a 10-year-old boy and assaulted him again when the boy became a teenager.
In 2017, he assaulted a seven-year-old boy.
He will be sentenced in Bega District Court via video link on October 6.
ABC South East NSW — local news in your inbox
Get our local newsletter, delivered free each Thursday
[Image text:] BATEMANS BAY COURTHOUSE