World News
Iranian general threatens to 'break Trump's legs' during Strait of Hormuz row
Key Points
Iranian general threatens to 'break Trump's legs' during Strait of Hormuz row Iran's Major General Amir Hatami said Donald Trump would have his "legs broken" after he claimed that the United States would take over the Strait of Hormuz An Iranian army chief says that Donald Trump would have his "legs broken" if he tried to take over the Strait of Hormuz. The US President made a bombastic claim during a speech last Friday that the strait would soon become “a territory of the United States,”...
Iranian general threatens to 'break Trump's legs' during Strait of Hormuz row
Iran's Major General Amir Hatami said Donald Trump would have his "legs broken" after he claimed that the United States would take over the Strait of Hormuz
An Iranian army chief says that Donald Trump would have his "legs broken" if he tried to take over the Strait of Hormuz.
The US President made a bombastic claim during a speech last Friday that the strait would soon become “a territory of the United States,” despite remaining gridlocked with Iran over peace talks.
But he was sharply rebuked Iranian Army General Amir Hatami on Sunday, who said that it would be a “major mistake” to joke about trying taking over the strait, and that doing so would see him “break your legs”.
It was not clear whether Trump's comments were serious when he said: “After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Hormuz strait a territory of the United States. Essentially, that’s what it is. We have the blockade. No ships get through unless we want them to.”
After attacks began by the US and Israel on Iran in February where Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei was killed along with members of his family, Trump promised a short conflict but still now there is no end in sight.
Trump said the conflict was about stopping Iran from having ability to make nuclear weapons but the Strait of Hormuz has become front and centre as it is a vital waterway for global shipping which has been blocked by Iran.
Hatami claims that the US have “effectively been driven out” of the region and would be prevented from using the strait while Iranian officials have also taunted Trump by saying he has to “accept the reality of defeat”.
The US and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding in June which was an initial framework with a 60-day deadline for peace talks but this window closed today without any concrete plans announced so far to end the war.
Iran was supposed to allow the movement of shipping through the strait and the US similarly remove its blockade of Iranian ports but that is not currently happening.
Meanwhile, Hatami also told Iran's semi-official Mehr news agency that a bounty of $30,000 would be given to anyone who kills or captures a US soldier and hands them over to authorities. “Courageous Iranian women who accomplish this feat will receive double the reward,” he added.
The new initiative is supported by public crowdfunding campaigns, with Iranian citizens understood to be contributing funds to boost the armed forces. Iran promised a bounty of $60,000 in April for finding a US service member whose fighter jet crashed in the country.