Health
Police interview murder suspect after man killed in dog attack
Key Points
Police interview murder suspect after man killed in dog attack A 55-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder following the incident - Bookmark Police have been given more time to question a man arrested on suspicion of murdering another man who was bitten by a dog. West Yorkshire Police was called to reports of an altercation on the old train line footpath off Blacker Lane in the Calder Grove area of Wakefield on Saturday afternoon. A 55-year-old man was bitten by a dog, believed to...
Police interview murder suspect after man killed in dog attack
A 55-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder following the incident
- Bookmark
Police have been given more time to question a man arrested on suspicion of murdering another man who was bitten by a dog.
West Yorkshire Police was called to reports of an altercation on the old train line footpath off Blacker Lane in the Calder Grove area of Wakefield on Saturday afternoon.
A 55-year-old man was bitten by a dog, believed to be a German Shepherd, during the altercation. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition and died shortly after.
On Monday, police said they had been granted a warrant of further detention for a man, also aged 55, who was arrested on suspicion of murder and of being the owner of a dog dangerously out of control in a public place, causing injury.
Detectives said they had also now identified and spoken to the two people who stopped to help the injured man at the scene.
The dog, which is understood to have been involved in this incident, has been seized and is being held by police.
On Monday morning, a piece of police tape continued to block the entrance to the path, next to an old railway bridge, but there were no officers.
The only other sign of police activity was a patrol car parked a short distance further down Blacker Lane.
Detective Chief Inspector Michael Cox, of the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team, said: “The two people who stopped to assist and direct police have both come forward and given their accounts to us.
“I would like to thank them and others who have shared our appeal or come forward with information.
“We are aware of some inaccurate discussion online about the person we have in custody and would urge people to avoid speculation about those involved and what has taken place.
“If there is anyone else who was in the area at the time of this incident or anyone else who has information that could assist our enquiries, then I would ask them to please make contact with the investigation team.
“We are continuing to question the man who we have in custody, and our enquiries are continuing at a pace to understand the events leading up to this man’s death.
“We are also offering specialist support to the man’s family at this extremely distressing time.”