World News
Seoul, Washington to halve joint drills as Trump reportedly seeks summit with North Korea's Kim
Key Points
South Korea's military said Wednesday that it would cut an annual joint military exercise with the U.S. by about half, after President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale it back and reportedly pushed to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as soon as this fall. The annual joint Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise period will be reduced to Aug. 17 to 21, according to a statement from South Korea's armed forces. The program had originally been scheduled to conclude on Aug. 27.
South Korea's military said Wednesday that it would cut an annual joint military exercise with the U.S. by about half, after President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale it back and reportedly pushed to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as soon as this fall.
The annual joint Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise period will be reduced to Aug. 17 to 21, according to a statement from South Korea's armed forces. The program had originally been scheduled to conclude on Aug. 27.
The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that Trump is pressing aides to arrange a meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong Un as soon as this fall, in a push to revive personal diplomacy with the reclusive leader. The two previously met face-to-face during Trump's first term, in 2018, in Singapore.
Trump has privately discussed arranging an in-person meeting with Kim during his next trip to Asia, likely in November, the Journal said, when he is expected to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Shenzhen, China.
The developments came after Trump ordered Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to scale back "substantially" the joint military drills on Sunday evening stateside, just before its start on Monday.
The moves mark the latest escalation of Trump's outreach to Pyongyang, unsettling a 70-year alliance with South Korea already battered by the transfer of wartime operational control and Seoul's refusal to back U.S. efforts on Iran.
The allies had planned 14 combined field-training programs alongside this year's command-post exercise, which was to include about 18,000 South Korean troops, according to the Associated Press.
— CNBC's Lisa Kim and Jenny Lee contributed to this report.
Seoul (LOCATION)
Washington (LOCATION)
Trump (ORG)
North Korea's (LOCATION)
Kim South Korea's (LOCATION)
U.S. (LOCATION)
Donald Trump (PERSON)
Pentagon (ORG)
North Korean (ORG)
Kim Jong Un (PERSON)
South Korea's (LOCATION)
The Wall Street Journal (ORG)
Singapore (LOCATION)
Kim (PERSON)
Asia (LOCATION)