Home Health Shoreham deaths - latest: Three family members pulled...
Health

Shoreham deaths - latest: Three family members pulled from sea and girl fights for life

Shoreham deaths - latest: Three family members pulled from sea and girl fights for life
Key Points

Shoreham deaths - latest: Three family members pulled from sea and girl fights for life Three people from the same family have died after being pulled from the water in Shoreham-by-Sea in West Sussex - coastguard helicopters, ambulances and police were called to the scene Three people from the same family - a man, a woman, and a teenage girl - have died after getting into trouble in the water off Shoreham-by-Sea. A fourth person, a younger girl from the same family, also got into difficulty...

Shoreham deaths - latest: Three family members pulled from sea and girl fights for life Three people from the same family have died after being pulled from the water in Shoreham-by-Sea in West Sussex - coastguard helicopters, ambulances and police were called to the scene Three people from the same family - a man, a woman, and a teenage girl - have died after getting into trouble in the water off Shoreham-by-Sea. A fourth person, a younger girl from the same family, also got into difficulty but was pulled from the sea and remains in a critical condition in hospital. Witnesses said they believed one of the children got caught in a fishing net. Landscaper Joe Chrisp, 24, added: "It happened when I was on my way back from work. There were loads of police, and I got turned around. It’s so tragic." Coastguard helicopters, ambulances and police were scrambled to the coastal town in West Sussex on Tuesday afternoon following reports that four people were in trouble in the water. It's thought the family were camping nearby. They entered the water for a group swim in the harbour, Sussex Police said. People living in the area say Shoreham Harbor has a steep shelf, where the seabed drops away quickly. It can make it difficult for swimmers to keep their balance. The town is popular with tourists for its shingle beach, nature reserve and historic centre and is popular with kitesurfers and paddleboarders. The tragic deaths in Shoreham today come as the Mirror has launched the Save Lives For Sam water safety campaign to tackle the UK's growing drowning crisis. Find out more about the campaign and how you can support it here. Key Events Footage from the rescue operation, including specialist officers and an air ambulance descending on the scene, was captured on video by a bystander This is how the scene of the tragedy looked yesterday, when the emergency operation took place. Here is a selection of images illustraing the size of the emergency response to this tragedy. Good morning. Here is what we know on the Shoreham tragedy so far. - Three people - a man, a woman and a teenage girl - have died after getting into difficulty in the water off the coast of Shoreham, in Sussex, yesterday afternoon. They were all from the same family. - A fourth swimmer, a younger child from the same family, also got into difficulty but was saved from the waves. She is in hospital in a critical condition. - Police, the R.N.L.I. and the Coastguard all launched an emergency response shortly befoe 3pm on Tuesday. - Police are encouraging witnesses to come forward and contact them on 101, quoting Operation North, to aid with their investigations. At this stage, they believe the family entered the water for a group swim. Witness Joe Chrisp, 24, said: “One of the local fishermen said it was two adults, two kids. “One of the kids apparently got caught in a fishing net.” The landscaper added: “It happened when I was on my way back from work. There were loads of police and I got turned around. It’s so tragic.” Victoria Flint, of nearby Horsham, was there with husband Gary and their children. She said, as per the Sun: “We arrived at about three and soon after we heard the siren for the lifeboat. “We watched it launch and then, about 20 minutes later, it came back. Ambulances started arriving. More and more of them. Then the air ambulances started.” Another resident, Pete Book, added: “As I neared home, a yellow air ambulance also landed. There were a lot of ambulances, coastguard and police vehicles converging on the area, and the coast road was closed.” Speaking to reporters, Chief Superintendent James Collis said a man, a woman and a teenage girl died, while a younger girl from the same family is in a critical condition in hospital. He said: “Around 2.40 pm this afternoon, emergency services were called to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort. “Sussex Police supported His Majesty’s Coast Guard and the RNLI as all four people were brought to shore. “Tragically, despite the best efforts of paramedics, three people – a man, a woman, and a teenage girl – were sadly confirmed deceased. “A younger girl has been taken to hospital and is in critical condition. We can confirm all four people were from the same family, and their next of kin have been informed.” Specialist officers are supporting the family’s next of kin. In his digital statement regarding Tuesday's tragedy at Shoreham-by-Sea, MP Tom Rutland added his thanks to the first responders who acted quickly and in their best efforts to save the three lives that were tragically lost. "I want to thank our emergency services, including Sussex Police, South East Coast Ambulance Service, HM Coastguard, Shoreham RNLI and Air Ambulance Kent Surrey Sussex, who responded swiftly to the incident and have worked tirelessly in exceptionally difficult circumstances," he said. "Your work is invaluable and so appreciated by all of us living in Shoreham." The MP's comments come in the wake of the seaside horror that played out on Tuesday, in which three people from the same family - a man, a woman and a teenage girl - died after getting into trouble in water off Shoreham-by-Sea. As per Sussex Police, a younger girl from the same family remains in a critical condition in hospital. The MP added that "a small section of the A259 around the area remains closed. I would urge members of the public to follow the advice and instructions of the emergency services." In further comments, Tom Rutland, the Labour MP for East Worthing and Shoreham, said: "My thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives, and I know the whole community here in Shoreham will be hoping and praying for the recovery of the young girl receiving medical treatment in hospital." Tom Rutland, the Labour MP for East Worthing and Shoreham, has been 'deeply saddened' by Tuesday's ocean tragedy. "I am deeply saddened by the tragic news that three people have died following an incident in the water near Shoreham Fort this afternoon," he said. "I spoke earlier with Sussex Police and Shoreham RNLI and have been briefed on the response by the emergency services." Chief Superintendent James Collis said: “I know this incident will have a profound effect on the community, and enquiries are ongoing alongside our partners to understand the full details. “At this point we believe all four entered the water from the land to swim and sadly got into difficulty. “Our partners in His Majesty’s Coastguard have completed an extensive search of the water and we are not searching for anyone else. Anyone with information or video footage about the incident has been asked to contact Sussex Police online or via 101, quoting Operation North. The confirmation of three deaths follows a massive emergency response in Shoreham-by-Sea earlier today. Coastguard helicopters, ambulances and police were scrambled to the coastal town following reports that four people were in trouble in the water. The fourth person - a young girl - is in a critical condition in hospital. A man, a woman and a teenage girl have died. They are all from the same family. The RNLI said lifeboat crews were launched from Shoreham at about 2.50pm. Two other lifeboats were launched from the Brighton lifeboat station shortly after 3pm. The tragic deaths in Shoreham today come as the Mirror has launched the Save Lives For Sam water safety campaign to tackle the UK's growing drowning crisis. Backed by MPs, Olympic champions, national water safety organisations and bereaved families, the campaign is calling for urgent action to make our waters safer. That includes compulsory water safety lessons in schools, a nationwide public awareness campaign, better lifesaving equipment at high-risk waterways, the introduction of Sam's Law, and a dedicated Minister for Water Safety. Find out more about the campaign and how you can support it here. Chief Superintendent James Collis said a man, a woman and a teenage girl died, while a younger girl from the same family is in a critical condition in hospital. He said: “Around 2,40 pm this afternoon, emergency services were called to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort. “Sussex Police supported His Majesty’s Coast Guard and the RNLI as all four people were brought to shore. “Tragically, despite the best efforts of paramedics, three people – a man, a woman, and a teenage girl – were sadly confirmed deceased. “A younger girl has been taken to hospital and is in critical condition. We can confirm all four people were from the same family, and their next of kin have been informed.” Chief Superintendent James Collis said all four people entered the water from land for a swim and got into difficulty. The coastguard is not searching for anyone else. A man, woman and a teenage girl have died after being pulled from the sea in Shoreham. A younger girl is in critical condition in hospital, police said this evening. Police confirmed all four people are from the same family. Police remain at the scene in Shoreham this evening. It follows a major emergency response after four people got into difficulty in the water. Sussex Police issued a statement saying emergency services were responding to reports of "four people in difficulty" - but it hasn't gone into further details about what happened. The statement read: "Emergency services are currently responding to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort. "A section of the A259 in Shoreham has been closed as the incident remains ongoing, and we’re urging the public to stay clear of the area in the meantime. We will provide more information as soon as we are able to." Shelley Ayres, who lives opposite the beach, said: "We have never known this. I'm just hoping it's nothing tragic. "The sea has been very calm for months and months, but today it has got a lot rougher." Many emergency service vehicles have left the scene but the A259 remains closed by the incident. An AA alert states: "Road blocked and slow traffic due to emergency services incident on A259 Brighton Road both ways from New Road to Kingston Lane." A resident has described seeing a massive emergency response on a beach which they claimed was "safe". "I first heard the helicopters go past my home on the seafront. This was quickly followed by sirens, it is the most emergency services I have ever seen in my life," they told the Express. "I saw Coastguard crews turn up, police, ambulance and critical incident units. Police were quick to cordon the road. There has been nothing like this happen on the beach before in the whole 25 years I have lived in the town. It's a safe beach with an RNLI station and a watch tower. "Many people who were on the beach shared the same view as me - that we hope everyone involved will be okay. There are a lot of concerned local residents around the cordon watching it unfold." Tom Rutland, the Labour MP for East Worthing and Shoreham, says it is an "extremely worrying" incident. He wrote on X: "I am deeply concerned by the reports of a number of people getting into difficulty in the water near Shoreham Harbour this afternoon. "My thoughts are with everyone involved and their loved ones at what will undoubtedly be an extremely worrying time." Emergency services are responding to reports that four people are in difficulty in the water off the Sussex coast. Multiple ambulances and two air ambulances could be seen in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, near the RNLI station on Tuesday afternoon. A Sussex Police spokesperson said: “Emergency services are currently responding to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort. “A section of the A259 in Shoreham has been closed as the incident remains ongoing, and we’re urging the public to stay clear of the area in the meantime “We will provide more information as soon as we are able to.” The A259 Brighton Road was blocked in both directions from New Road to Kingston Lane because of the incident. An RNLI spokesman said: “Shoreham RNLI were tasked by HM Coastguard at approximately 3pm on Tuesday 18 August.” At the scene an ambulance could be seen leaving under a police escort with blue lights flashing. Two helicopters and a critical care team were sent by the Air Ambulance Charity in Kent, Surrey and Sussex (AAKSS). A spokesperson added it was "part of the coordinated emergency response". The RNLI confirms that a Shoreham lifeboat was called into action by the Coastguard at around 3pm today. Online RNLI lifeboat records shows that a vessel was launched from Shoreham at 2.51pm. The RNLI spokesperson said: "Shoreham RNLI were tasked by HM Coastguard at approximately 3pm on Tuesday, August 18." South East Coast Ambulance Service says that it has responded to "reports of four people in need of medical attention" A spokesperson said the people are understood to have got "into difficulty in the water near Shoreham Harbour". They added: "We were called shortly after 15:00 BST and have a number of ambulance resources at the scene." Sussex Police is urging people to avoid Shoreham Fort with part of the A259 closed in an emergency operation. A statement reads: "A section of the A259 in Shoreham has been closed as the incident remains ongoing, and we’re urging the public to stay clear of the area in the meantime. "We will provide more information as soon as we are able to." A spokesperson said: "HM Coastguard responded to an incident reported at Shoreham at about 2.45pm on August 18. "An HM Coastguard helicopter was sent as well as Littlehampton, Shoreham and Newhaven Coastguard Rescue Teams, and an RNLI lifeboat from Shoreham. "Sussex Police and South East Coast Ambulance Service also attended." Sussex Police said: "Emergency services are currently responding to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort. "A section of the A259 in Shoreham has been closed as the incident remains ongoing. We’re urging the public to stay clear of the area in the meantime. We will provide more information as soon as we are able to." A RNLI lifeboat was launched from Shoreham at 2.51pm although it is unclear what was the reason for this. Lifeboat records online show that there were launches also from Brighton at 3.08pm and 3.10pm today.
Shoreham (ORG) West Sussex (LOCATION) Joe Chrisp (PERSON) Sussex (LOCATION) Shoreham Harbor (LOCATION) Mirror (ORG) Sam (PERSON) UK (LOCATION) Coastguard (ORG) Operation North (LOCATION)
Originally published by Daily Mirror Read original →