Business & Finance
Union row with BHP deepens after officials kicked off Port Hedland site
Key Points
Union organisers removed by BHP at Port Hedland operations In short: Amid the ongoing industrial dispute between BHP and unions at the miner's Port Hedland operations, tensions have flared after union officials were removed from site. The Electrical Trades Union has subsequently accused BHP of a smear campaign. The union says it will take the matter to the Federal Court.
Union organisers removed by BHP at Port Hedland operations
In short:
Amid the ongoing industrial dispute between BHP and unions at the miner's Port Hedland operations, tensions have flared after union officials were removed from site.
The Electrical Trades Union has subsequently accused BHP of a smear campaign.
What's next?
The union says it will take the matter to the Federal Court.
Fresh tensions have erupted between unions and BHP during a visit by union officials to the miner's Port Hedland operations on Thursday.
The Electrical Trades Union (ETU) claims three elected union representatives, two from the ETU and one from the Australian Workers' Union, were illegally removed from site during a right-of-entry visit for failing to comply with an order to sit down in a room that had no sitting space.
BHP accused the union reps of "aggressive behaviour" towards a female BHP employee who asked them to comply with the order.
It comes amid an ongoing industrial dispute at the port, with the miner and unions locked in negotiations that have seen strikes of varying severity.
Differing accounts
According to the ETU, the organisers were preparing to address a meeting of workers when a manager instructed them to sit down in a room with "no surface on which to sit".
They were removed by security guards and met at the front of the terminal by police.
A BHP spokesperson said anyone entering BHP sites were required to comply with rules.
"Aggressive behaviour is never tolerated in our workplaces," a BHP spokesperson told the ABC.
"In the interests of maintaining a safe and respectful workplace, we have a responsibility to uphold standards of behaviour which are respectful of everyone on site."
WA Police confirmed officers were called to a BHP facility on Thursday morning, but said they had no interactions with union members, had laid no charges and no investigations were pending.
Federal Court threat
The union said its officials were always "civil, peaceful and efficient" when visiting worksites and accused BHP of "a disgraceful smear against people who were illegally prevented from doing their job".
"The decision of BHP management to use security guards to effect the removal of workers' elected representatives is a flagrant breach of the Fair Work Act, and of International Labor Organization conventions on freedom of association," ETU WA state secretary Adam Woodage said.
"We will be applying to the Federal Court for redress for this illegal act."
The Fair Work Commission has declined to comment as the matter is destined for court.
Worker's arm crushed
The stoush comes after reports surfaced of an incident in which a contractor's arm was crushed, resulting in a broken elbow, at BHP's Port Hedland operations on the same weekend some unionised BHP staff downed tools.
At the reported time of the incident, ship loading workers from the Australian Workers' Union were in the midst of a work stoppage.
The ABC understands the incident happened in an area that was not affected by the strikes during a scheduled maintenance shutdown.
BHP and WorkSafe confirmed the incident had been reported and was under investigation both internally and by the regulator.
"Safety is paramount across all BHP operations," a BHP spokesperson said.
"We investigate all onsite injuries to determine the cause and establish improved work practices if needed."
[Image text:] BHP
Iron Ore