Home UK News Under-15s have been banned from travelling on buses...
UK News

Under-15s have been banned from travelling on buses alone at night across Stoke-on-Trent

Under-15s have been banned from travelling on buses alone at night across Stoke-on-Trent
Key Points

Under-15s have been banned from travelling on buses alone at night across Stoke-on-Trent A total of 32 bus services in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, are affected by the new evening restriction, introduced following growing concerns over anti-social behaviour involving youngsters Under-15s have been banned from travelling alone on some buses in Stoke-on-Trent after 6pm. The evening restriction was introduced following a rise in anti-social behaviour, meaning children under 15 can only travel...

Under-15s have been banned from travelling on buses alone at night across Stoke-on-Trent A total of 32 bus services in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, are affected by the new evening restriction, introduced following growing concerns over anti-social behaviour involving youngsters Under-15s have been banned from travelling alone on some buses in Stoke-on-Trent after 6pm. The evening restriction was introduced following a rise in anti-social behaviour, meaning children under 15 can only travel on services to and from Hanley Bus Station if accompanied by an adult. The ban came into force on Friday and was approved by the Department for Transport following discussions with Staffordshire Police and Stoke-on-Trent City Council. Rebecca Arrowsmith, general manager of First Bus in the area, said there had been increased incidents of anti-social behaviour at the bus station and on board services. A total of 32 services across the Potteries are affected, although drivers have been told to “exercise their discretion” if there are concerns about an unaccompanied child’s safety. Rebecca said: “The safety of our staff and customers is always our number one priority and we will always take steps to ensure everyone on board can travel in comfort and without nuisance. "This measure has the full support of the council and will be kept under daily review. We hope to be able to end the restriction as soon as possible.” The temporary measure comes while children aged five to 15 can travel on most bus services in England for free as part of a government scheme due to run until the end of August. Simon Mathieson, the firm’s regional director for the East and Midlands, said the decision had been made “regrettably” and the company hoped to lift the restriction once the free bus travel offer ends. He told BBC Radio Stoke: “We have seen a large uptake in the area for children using this scheme, which is great. Buses are important, buses matter. We know people like to travel by bus. Obviously, the weather has been fantastic, with people getting out and about. “We’ve seen good use of this scheme, but we just need people to act sensibly when they’re on the bus and in the bus station.”
Stoke (LOCATION) Staffordshire (LOCATION) Under-15s (ORG) Hanley Bus Station (LOCATION) the Department for Transport (ORG) Rebecca Arrowsmith (PERSON) First Bus (ORG) Potteries (LOCATION) Rebecca (PERSON) England (LOCATION) Simon Mathieson (PERSON) East (LOCATION) Midlands (LOCATION) BBC Radio Stoke (ORG)
Originally published by Daily Mirror Read original →