Entertainment
Should Meghan Markle return to acting? Take our poll and have your say!
Key Points
Should Meghan Markle return to acting? Take our poll and have your say! The Duchess has been linked with a surprise role in Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen after Prince Harry announced the couple are returning to the United Kingdom After more than half a decade in the United States, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's American exodus is set to end as the couple plan an unprecedented return to the United Kingdom.
Should Meghan Markle return to acting? Take our poll and have your say!
The Duchess has been linked with a surprise role in Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen after Prince Harry announced the couple are returning to the United Kingdom
After more than half a decade in the United States, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's American exodus is set to end as the couple plan an unprecedented return to the United Kingdom.
As U-turns go it doesn't get much bigger. After all, the couple had forfeited their responsibilities as working Royals in 2020, opting instead for a quieter life away from the media spotlight at their sprawling Montecito estate in rural California.
Surrounded by seven acres of immaculately manicured gardens and comfortably ensconced within a $16.5million mansion boasting nine-bedrooms, 16 bathrooms and its very own movie theatre, Meghan and Harry quickly reestablished themselves with a series of lucrative book deals, podcasts and ill-fated Netflix TV shows.
But an increasingly strained relationship with the wider Royal family - notably King Charles and Prince William - coupled with ongoing concerns over their private security painted a bleak backdrop, and suggested they might never return to the UK.
Little wonder their decision to uproot children Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, and fly back to England with immediate effect has surprised even the more devoted of supporters.
But what prompted the forthcoming move? Well, Meghan's rumoured desire to return to acting some eight years after relinquishing her role as sultry Rachel Zane in Suits may well be an ulterior motive - not least the apparent lure of a role in director Guy Ritchie's hit Netflix series, The Gentlemen.
Inspired by Ritchie's 2019 film of the same name, the show's first season, starring Theo James, Ray Winstone, Kaya Scodelario, Vinnie Jones and Joely Richardson, was an instant success for the streaming giant following its release in 2024, and Meghan's potential involvement can only generate further interest as it prepares to return in September.
Meghan was said to be in talks to appear as what was described as a temptress character in the third series of the comedy drama about an aristocratic family who turn to crime.
They have already reportedly found a family home and schools for their children in the UK and Harry is said to be keen for his father, King Charles, on Saturday pictured driving on the A93 near Braemar, to develop a relationship with his grandchildren.
It is understood Meghan, who is said to have toured schools in the Cotswold's during a recent visit to the UK, will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from the UK and hopes to expand it globally.
It had been reported Meghan was excited by the prospect of the proposed Netflix role, which would be written specifically for her. She allegedly entered talks for The Gentlemen after meeting film director Ritchie – pop legend Madonna’s ex-husband – through mutual acquaintances.
Meghan, who appeared on MasterChef Australia last month, made her name as Rachel Zane in popular US legal drama Suits before leaving in 2017 after she began dating Harry. She has also appeared in other shows, such as CSI:Miami and last year filmed a cameo as herself for comedy film Close Personal Friends with Lily Collins and Brie Larson.
On Saturday, Royal author Tina Brown claims public backlash against Meghan has led to her pulling out of The Gentlemen.
Brown, who previously wrote an unauthorised biography about the former Suits actress, wrote on X: "I have heard that Meghan Markle’s role in Guy Ritchie’s Netflix series The Gentlemen is OFF. Public backlash was too fierce. This does not bode well for Meghan’s acting comeback in the UK."
Writing in The Times on Saturday, before her claim that Meghan's role was off, Brown had commented about the couple's move, including Meghan's apparent new job.
She wrote: "It was always the best option for Meghan to return to acting, something she was genuinely good at until she threw it in to marry Harry. In 2023, when replays of her old hit cable show Suits were inexplicably all the rage on Netflix, it would have been a legitimate pop culture sensation and a major payday if she had let her agents pitch her for a reboot.
"But no. Duchesses don’t do ensembles. Meghan believed she could pull off some kind of manic multihyphenate mishmash of entertainment enterprises in between accompanying her husband on ersatz royal tours to promote random global uplift.
“If you’re an actress, it’s hard to then transition to a princess and then from a princess into a homemaking guru on a television show. It doesn’t sort of follow.”
Do YOU think Meghan should return to acting? Let us know in our latest poll!