Home Health Sydney shark attack victim speaks for first time about...
Health

Sydney shark attack victim speaks for first time about 'second chance at life'

Sydney shark attack victim speaks for first time about 'second chance at life'
Key Points

Shark attack victim Leah Stewart has spoken for the first time about her recovery more than two months after she was mauled by a white shark at Coogee Beach. On a fundraising site, she wrote that her recovery was ongoing, but that she had been given a second chance at life and was not going to waste it. She also thanked the community for its generosity after more than $500,000 was raised.

Shark attack victim Leah Stewart has spoken for the first time about her recovery more than two months after she was mauled by a white shark at Coogee Beach. On a fundraising site, she wrote that her recovery was ongoing, but that she had been given a second chance at life and was not going to waste it. She also thanked the community for its generosity after more than $500,000 was raised. Sydney shark attack victim Leah Stewart says she has not fully recovered more than two months after the incident, but feels like she has been given a "second chance at life". Ms Stewart's family had previously provided updates on her condition on a fundraising site. On Sunday she wrote for the first time about her experience. "After what has been an incredibly difficult few months, I'm so happy that I've progressed enough to build some independence, and I can finally see some light after all of this," she said. "I want you to know that I feel like I've been given a second chance at life, and I'm not going to waste it." On June 13, Ms Stewart was taken to St Vincent's Hospital in a critical condition after being mauled by a white shark while she was out for a morning swim, between the flags and close to the shore, at Coogee Beach in Sydney's east. The 35-year-old was bitten on her leg and arms, suffered multiple fractures throughout her body and lost a lot of blood. She was in an induced coma for days and underwent multiple surgeries, including the amputation of one of her arms. 'My recovery has been remarkable' The mother-of-one said she has been focusing on her healing and doing everything in her "power to get back to some sort of normal life". "I still have a long way to go, but my recovery has been remarkable." More than $500,000 has been raised to aid her recuperation, and while Ms Stewart profusely thanked the community for its generosity, she said it was time to "turn off donations". "Because what you've offered has given us enough to recover, to stay in our home, and to give us options for further medical treatment down the road," she said. She added the support she had received locally and from all over the world had contributed to her recovery. "You've inspired me to get better, not bitter." About 11 days after the attack, the 35-year-old teacher spoke to her family for the first time after she was briefly woken from an induced coma. Her first words, at the time, to her husband and mother were "I love you". "Her first thoughts were with her daughter, August, and wanted to check she was OK," Ms Stewart's brother said. NSW has experienced a number of shark-related incidents this year. In January, 12-year-old Nico Antic died in hospital after he was attacked at Vaucluse. Later that month, musician Andre de Ruyter lost his leg after he was bitten by a suspected bull shark at Manly Beach. The attacks have led to an expansion of a drone surveillance program, which now covers 72 beaches along the NSW coast from dawn to dusk.
Sydney (LOCATION) Leah Stewart (PERSON) Coogee Beach (LOCATION) Ms Stewart's (PERSON) Ms Stewart (PERSON) St Vincent's Hospital (LOCATION) NSW (ORG) Nico Antic (PERSON) Vaucluse (LOCATION) Andre de Ruyter (PERSON) Manly Beach (LOCATION)
Originally published by ABC Australia Read original →